Although the cost of filing for a litigated divorce is costly and it takes years to complete the process, the number of couples filing for divorce in California continues to rise. People should be aware that there is a more cost effective alternative. Divorce mediation makes the divorce process less stressful for couples at a much more affordable cost.
Facts about Divorce in California
According to recent statistics, the number of people filing for divorce are continuing to increase every year. This is a surprise considering the amount of money needed to file for divorce and the length of time it takes to complete the process.
People now have an alternative to a less costly and less stressful divorce process through marriage mediation.
What is Divorce Mediation?
Divorce mediation is one of the most popular methods of negotiating a divorce settlement. In a typical divorce setup, each spouse hires a lawyer to negotiate a settlement that both parties can agree on. In divorce mediation, the couple jointly approaches a single mediator to discuss and resolve issues in their separation. There are some cases where the couple may also bring along their respective lawyers to the mediator.
The mediator does not make any decision for the couple, but instead, acts as a facilitator to help them arrive at a mutually agreeable decision.
What are the Benefits of Mediation?
Couples who decide to seek a competent divorce mediator enjoy the following benefits:
- Divorce mediation is markedly less costly because the couple does not need to go through a court trial or a series of hearings in order to arrive at an agreeable settlement.
- In most cases where couples choose to use a mediator, they end in a settlement of all the issues in their divorce.
- In mediation, all discussions within the sessions are kept confidential. Couples can be assured that there are no public records kept in all of the meetings with the marriage mediator.
- The couple is able to control the process and not the court. Both sides are able to decide on a resolution based on what each thinks is fair and in their particular family’s best interest, rather than having a solution imposed on them by an outside party based on strict and impersonal legal principles.
- Couples who seek an attorney-mediator are able to save more money.Each individual parting spouse no longer needs to hire an attorney for themselves, because a mediator who is proficient in the law can give the necessary legal advice that they both need.
- In the ideal mediation process, a couple only needs to work with one person who acts as their mutual representative.
Where to Find a Good Attorney-Mediator in California?
There are many divorce mediators in California, but there are only a few who are capable of giving wide-ranging legal advice. Colleen McNamee is one of the most trusted mediators who can give sound legal counsel. She runs a divorce mediation service at 18662 MacArthur Blvd., Suite 200, Irvine, Orange County, California. For more information about the services that she offers, call her today at (949)223– 3836!